Frequently Asked Questions
Recording a Video
1. How do I record a video?
Recording requires a few simple steps. First,just click on any of the two "Record a KeepTree" buttons on your dashboard (or the "Record a Thank You" button on TroopTree’s home page). This will take you to your recording screen, where an Adobe Flash Player Settings pop-up box will appear. Click "Allow" so that Adobe Flash Player can access your webcam and microphone. Once you do that, video should appear, and click "Start Recording" in order to begin your video. When you are done, click "Stop Recording," and you will see the options to replay your video, re-record your video, or continue to the Video Send page, where you fill out your video information. You can re-record as many times as you want.
2. I’m not getting an "Allow" button when I get to the recording screen, or I keep getting an error message on my video screen.
Make sure that you have the most up to date version of Adobe Flash Player, and try using a different web browser aside from Google Chrome (if you get the "Shockwave Flash" error message).
3. When I click "Allow," no video feed begins playing, instead I see a YouCam icon.
There could be two possible reasons for this. First, make sure your webcam is properly installed on your computer, and that it is plugged in correctly. If it is, then make sure it is set as the default camera on your Adobe Flash Player. You can do this by clicking the Adobe Flash Player Settings icon below the video screen, which will bring up your settings. Click on the camera picture in the pop-up box, which will bring you to your camera settings, and choose your webcam in the dropdown menu.
4. My videos have no audio, how do I fix this?
Check Adobe Flash Player Settings. Click the Adobe Flash Player Settings icon below the video screen, which will bring up your settings. Click on the microphone picture in the pop-up box, which will bring you to your microphone settings, and choose the correct microphone. You can test if it is working or not by speaking into the microphone and observing the volume meter on the left side of the pop-up box. If there is no change in the meter while you make noise, then the microphone is not connected properly.
Check your hardware. If you have a desktop, make sure that your webcam also records audio (most of them do). If it does not, make sure you have either a built-in microphone (most desktops do not), or that your external microphone is plugged in correctly. Most laptops have built in microphones.
5. Does every video I record get sent out?
No. You can re-record your video as many times as you’d like, until it’s exactly what you want. Only the final video will be saved or sent.
6. How do I choose recipients for my videos?
After recording a video and clicking "Continue," you will be taken to your Video Send screen. There, under the "Choose Recipients" section, you may either write an email addresses (separated multiple addresses with a comma), or select any of your contacts and drag them into the recipient box. NOTE: you will not have this option if you have selected "Keep Forever."
Profile and Privacy Settings
7. There are a lot of different privacy options, what do they all mean?
- If you choose "Recipients Only," your video will be shared only with the people you select as recipients.
- If you choose "Friends" then any contact you designate as a "Friend" will be able to watch your video on your page, but only the selected recipients will receive a notification and the video in their inbox.
- If you choose "Family" then any contact you designate as "Family" will be able to watch your video on your page, but only the selected recipients will receive a notification and the video in their inbox.
- If you choose "All Contacts" then all of your contacts will be able to view the video on your page, but only the selected recipients will receive a notification and the video in their inbox.
8. How do I change my password and profile information?
There are two ways to change your information.
- On the top right hand corner of any screen on the site, there is a small box that contains your name. If you click on it, a drop-down menu will appear, and you can select "Settings" to edit your profile information, including your password.
- Alternatively, you can select "Account Summary" on your Dashboard and it will bring you to the same page.
9. I forgot my password, how do I reset it?
On the home page, under the login area, you can click the "Forgot Password" button. Follow the on screen instructions to reset your password.
10. If I am a member of the military, or a family member of a military member, how do I make sure I have a TroopTree account?
When you are filling out your profile information when signing up for the site, click on the checkbox "US Military." If you are part of the military, fill out the military information with your credentials. If you are a family member, fill out the credentials of your sponsor. If you already have an existing KeepTree account, you can change that by going to your "Account Summary" page from your dashboard, and following the same instructions.
11. How do I add a contact?
There are three ways that a contact may be added.
- When signed in, you can go to your "Contact Tree" from your Dashboard. You can click the "Add Contact" button and fill out the information for yourself. That contact will then be available in your "Choose Recipients" section when sending a video.
- Another way a contact is added is when you send a video to somebody by using their email address. If that person is already a KeepTree or TroopTree member, they will become your contact automatically. If they are not a member, their email address will be added to your contacts, and when they sign-in for the first time and set up their account, your contact list will be updated with their name in place of the email address.
- You can also import your Facebook friends into your KeepTree account as contacts.
12. How are people notified when I send them a video?
Most recipients will be notified via email that they have a video, so you will need their email address in order to send them a video. However, if you have logged in using your Facebook account, you can send your Facebook friends a notification through a private Facebook message as well.